Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death for women when it comes to cancer-related diseases. Until this modern day period, there are still no proven ways of curing a breast cancer that would make them 100% cancer-free. There are lots of existing medications but have side effects on women’s health.
Though you, as a woman, cannot cure breast cancer, at least you must be aware of how to reduce having it. But before we discuss how to prevent breast cancer, let us tackle first what are the uncontrolled factors why you can have this.
Risk factors of having breast cancer that you cannot do something about
- Being a woman gives you a higher risk of having breast cancer, though it can occur on men sometimes.
- Hereditary factor is another issue you cannot handle. Breast cancer can run in families, but that does not mean that you will surely have this.
- Having menstruation at early stage- Doctors say that women that had their period below 12 years old will be more prone to breast cancer because of having early exposure with hormones.
- Late chill bearing – becoming pregnant at above 26 years old will be having more risk on getting breast cancer because of the hormonal changes on this stage of life.
- There are factors that you can do something about that will help you reduce having breast cancer.
- Smoking and drinking alcohol – studies shows that women who smoke and drink frequently have the higher risk of having breast cancer because of carcinogens. So limit your smoking and drinking. It is also better to stop smoking if you don’t want to die young because of breast cancer.
- Being obese or overweight – not just breast cancer, but you can also have more diseases to have if you are too fat because you might have an imbalanced hormone, which is a big factor in having breast cancer.
- Hormone replacement therapy – this is a dangerous activity, so you better ask your doctor first about this.
There are some additional tips that you can follow in order to prevent having breast cancer.
Maintain your weight. This is not just to look good physically, but to be healthy as well. You need to have your good diet and meal planning so that your body would not produce too much estrogen, which you can have if you are overweight.
Check out your breast. Perform breast self exam at least once a month. This will help you detect cancer on its early stage so that you can have its treatment at once.
Breast feed your child (for mothers). This will allow you to protect your hormones, based on studies. Both you and your baby will be benefited this way!
Eat more vegetables and fruits. Well, this is applicable for everybody. You need to have lots of vitamins to have strong immune system. Plant foods are also rich in cancer-fighting phytonutrients.