Cycling is a fantastic mode of transportation for many reasons.
It is better for the environment because it produces no harmful emissions like vehicles do. Cycling is also better for your health because you burn calories and build muscle as you pedal yourself around. Riding a bike can be a fun activity that you enjoy in your spare time, or an essential way to get yourself to school or work and back again.
When you are riding your bike it is important to follow the safety procedures and wear the appropriate gear to protect yourself. One of the most important pieces of protective gear when riding a bike is a helmet. They are designed to protect your skull in the event that you fall off your bike and hit your head.
Some people don’t wear helmets because they find them uncomfortable or think that they look un-cool or dorky. However, there are so many good reasons why you should always wear a helmet that there really should be no question.
Here are some very important reasons why a helmet should be on your head every time you ride your bike.
- Your skull is only as thick as three stacked pennies. At this thickness it could be easily cracked when falling from a bike at full speed or getting hit by a motorist, leading to serious brain damage.
- Falling from your bike could not only cause painful bumps and bruises, but a serious head injury could cause memory loss, coma, paralysis or mental retardation. Severe brain injuries could even result in death, which is a high price to pay for not wearing a helmet.
- Most bike helmets will be bright coloured and have reflective patches on them, making the rider more visible to motorists and encouraging them to share the roads more safely.
- Helmets come in all different shapes and sizes so you are sure to find one which fits you comfortably and will look cool.
- Helmets have been proven to reduce the risk of head injury by 85 percent and of brain injury by 88 percent. There is really little reason why you should not wear this protective headgear.
- Wearing a helmet sets a great example for your children so that you can teach them good safety habits when riding their bikes.
- Modern helmets are very lightweight and a decent model will weigh less than half a pound, so after a while you will forget that you are wearing it and it will feel like a second skin.
- When you are riding your bike it is also possible to hit overhanging branches from trees if you are not paying attention. If you are wearing a helmet, this will not be a problem.
- Helmet hair can be solved by bringing a hairbrush and some styling product with you and fixing yourself up in the bathroom when you arrive at work. It is not a good excuse not to wear a helmet.
- In some parts of the world, riding without a helmet is against the law. You could be subject to a fine if you are spotted riding around the streets without a proper helmet.
These are just a few of the reasons why wearing a helmet when riding a bike is always a good idea. Your brain is incredibly valuable and it is not worth risking serious head injury. Before you get on your bike and ride away, make sure that you select a helmet which fits you well and offers you protection.
There are so many reasons to wear Bell cycle helmets that you wonder why anyone would go without this essential head protection.